This blog is all about action items because as rightly said every life-changing journey starts with baby steps. So here are the baby steps
- Open the windows and allow sunlight to stream in. It will allow UVB to come in which is a Vit D synthesis initiator. Bask in this anytime between 7.30 am to 9.30 am for maximum benefits.
- Add more Vit b12 to your diet. Vit b12 increases D3 absorption. A bowl of curd, 2 glasses of buttermilk, 2 helpings of greens, a cup of lentil or sprouts should do the trick.
- Go furniture-free as much as possible. You will be using more of yourself to hold the position.
- Add natural functional squats by getting on the floor more often.
Move more indoors
For every 40 min of chair sitting or any stationary position walk for 5 min barefoot or with minimal footwear. Walking is one of the best weight-bearing activities which helps in bone mineral synthesis. All in a day’s walk isn’t it
Find your balance
These 3 simple words have had a profound impact physically and philosophically in my life. Let us talk about the physiological benefits for now.
Balancing activities are whole-body movements recruiting more muscles and the larger part of the skeletal system. Larger forces call for better bone density aka stronger bones to withstand them safely. Here are a few balance movements which have helped me greatly
- Walk barefoot on as many surfaces as possible. You can try walking on a pebble way, sand, grass, or carpet.
- Cushion walk– Put 3-5 cushions on a non-slip surface 5 cm apart. Stand on 1 cushion with feet hip-width distance. Take a step onto the cushion in the front without losing balance. Then you can move back to the starting cushion. Start with 2 cushions at a time and can move up to 3-5 cushions. You can repeat 2-3 times every hour.
- Balance on 1 leg– Stand as above on a non-slip stable surface. Lift 1 leg up such that the hip and knee are bent to 90 degrees. Hold this position for 30 sec to 1 min each side and can repeat as above.
- Side leg lift – Lift one leg sideways 5-6 cms from the midline of the body without tilting or leaning. Hold as above. Repeat as above.
- Back leg raise-Stand as above and lift one leg to the back keeping the knee soft and straight. Lift the leg to about 5-8 cms and keep the toes pointed to the floor. Hold and repeat as above.
- Chair pose in yoga ……… Signing off with FIND YOUR BALANCE. Cheers